Re: Oracle9i: How to pull LOB data via SQL*Plus ?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:22:51 -0400

"André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:413ee849$1_at_olaf.komtel.net...
| > sql*plus is the wrong tool -- it does not have the capability to extract
| > binary data to client files
| >
| > why is the customer specifying a shell script?
|
| He does, and the question "why" is not a legitimate question to a
| customer. He wants it and it is my task to evaluate if it is possible. Of
| course I might find it is not possible.. in which case the customer would
| have to alter their requirement but until then my job is to try with a
| script.

<editorial>
'why' is the MOST legitimate question to a customer -- that's how you understand the problem and get it solved properly, rather than perpetuating assumptions or solving the wrong problem, or providing the wrong solution to the right problem

if you don't know why he wants SQL*Plus, and you don't know how the script will be used, you're not able to solve the real business problem, only throw stuff over the wall for the customer to try. i'd highly recommend getting more information from the customer on what he's trying to accomplish. if you know his real needs, not just his assumed solution, you can propose appropriate solutions and eliminate trying inappropriate ones </editorial>

++ mcs Received on Wed Sep 08 2004 - 06:22:51 CDT