Re: oracle 8.1.5 configuration

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 06:59:49 +0200

"Mark Bole" <makbo_at_pacbell.net> a écrit dans le message de news:47s%c.17196$JE1.9341_at_newssvr27.news.prodigy.com... <snip>

> Also, consider the following: how do you know it is Oracle that is
> accessing the disk every second? Platform and version would help
> greatly. Version 8.1.5 is obsolete.

I can answer about that for the OP.
I tried it during the five or six past years on my laptop (WinNT4 SP3 to 6) with Oracle release 8.0, 8.1.5, 8.1.7 and 9.2. It's easy to see Oracle accesses the db when you are doing nothing, just start the instance and hear the disk every 2 seconds even with infinite log_checkpoint_timeout and so on.
I searched several times the reasons for these IO and didn't find any. I asked for this on newsgroup for this issue and got several answers like "smon cleaning or coalescing", "lgwr writting log buffer entries"... but when there is no activity, there is no object, there is nothing why these IO? (just execute "create database" nothing else and you'll see them).

--
Regards
Michel Cadot