Re: changing server time which affects oracle time

From: yls177 <yls177_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2004 19:22:56 -0700

Igor Racic <igor.racicC_at_freesurf.fr_no_C> wrote in message news:<413dffbe$0$22729$626a14ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> yls177 wrote:
> > hi, oracle transaction time comes from the server time? Therefore, if
> > we changed the oracle time, then inherently, this will affect the
> > oracle and transaction time, right? currently, we have an issue here.
> > Some jobs were not run properly and we were advised by the other party
> > that the only solution is to change the server time to past times, so
> > as to enable the job to run. Afterwhich, we can update the time to the
> > present time.
> >
> > Any advise?
>
> Probably Sybrand gave you good answer.
> But if you insist and know what you are doing, maybe
> fixed_date parameter could be of help:
>

> 1* alter system set fixed_date='2001-01-01-11-00-00'
> SQL> /
>
> System altered.
>
> SQL> select sysdate from dual;
>
> SYSDATE
> ---------
> 01-JAN-01
>
> SQL> alter system set fixed_date=none ;
>
> System altered.
>
> SQL> select sysdate from dual;
>
> SYSDATE
> ---------
> 07-SEP-04
>

> Igor

hi, my colleague went ahead with the operation, changed the server time to past time, ran the programs, changed the time back to current. The good thing is that oracle is able to start up though i havent examined the alert file for any entries.

What consequences could happen? Received on Tue Sep 07 2004 - 21:22:56 CDT