Re: High CPU consumption notification

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 05:22:24 +1000

Leigh wrote:

> Oracle 8.1.7.4
> Window 2000
>
> My database server has recently encountered 100%CPU consumption by
> threads spinning on Window 2000 system. When that happened, the system
> slow down to almost complete halt.
>
> I believe I have hit the oracle bug 2960293.
>
> Since there is no fix for it at the moment, I was wondering if there
> is any alert event that I can use before my database hit this bug?
> That is, notify me before the database is running at 100%cpu
> constantly?
>
> Thanks,
> Leigh

Have you tried DBMS_CLAIRVOYANCE?

:-)

Seriously: how can you expect the database to fire an alert for an event it thinks *might* happen at some point in the future?

You can set alarms when CPU usage goes over a certain threshold (I'm thinking OEM). But does going over, say, the 90% mark mean that it's heading for the 100% line and doomed to stay there? What if your users just happen to be a bit busy right now?

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Sep 07 2004 - 14:22:24 CDT