Re: Porting C++ App to Oracle

From: Questioner <james_pannozzi_at_cisgi.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2004 09:50:20 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<Sj8_c.90727$X12.78580_at_edtnps84>...
> Tom Barnes wrote:
>
> > james_pannozzi_at_cisgi.com (Questioner) wrote in message
> >> I am considering porting a C++ application
> >> to Oracle.
> >
> > Eh? C++ is a programming language and Oracle is a database!?
>
> Insufficient information. Potentially porting a C++ app that stored stuff
> in a flat file, used some generic serialization library, or some such.
>
> But you are right, the way the question was framed implies the writer has
> limited knowledge of Oracle. I kinda get the feeling OP might be trying to
> port to Java (or Forms) and wondering whether Oracle's relevant iDEs can
> help. In which case OP should browse OTN at http://otn.oracle.com and look
> around the high level description for Developer Suite to get a rough idea.

Thanks, I will elaborate.

I have a C++ application which saves data to files in a properietary binary
format composed of nested C Structures. The user interface is a grid control in a dialog box along with some pull downs. As mentioned, the user data is currently saved in individual binary files with each user having their own directory to hold their files.

I know nothing of Oracle development tools but assume that it can replicate the current GUI that I created with C++. Once I convert to Oracle, the user data
would be stored in a database whoose table structure would be designed similarly to what is in the binary files now. My concerns are how well Oracle communicates with a variety of vendor supplied DLL's (some of them often poorly documented which is why I was hoping that there would be some Oracle equivalent to Microsoft's excellent #import directive in their C++ compiler) and also how do I provide for those users who wish to run the application on their stand alone laptops (perhaps there is some portable Oracle whose database can be merged with the main one periodcially?

I am inclined to avoid Java and so would be inclined to do everything (GUI and communication with DLL's) in whatever the Oracle development language is.
I'm intrigued by one respondent who said that you can embed some C++, I will research that.

Anyway, I will consult the link you suggested, ont.oracle.com

Thanks Again
Tak Received on Tue Sep 07 2004 - 11:50:20 CDT