Re: I have to install Oracle, one Q

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:40:29 +1000

QUESTION wrote:

> I have PIII (866Mhz, 256MB, 30GB Hdd ...), Win XP Pro
> and now I have to install ORACLE 9i on local maschine so I can learn.
> Can I have this version ORACLE on my computer because of my low
> configuration.
>
> PS.
>
> I had Win 2000 Pro and ORACLE 8i. This works great.
> Still, I have to start 2 oracle services by hand.
>
> Thanks

Your memory is very low. RAM is dirt cheap. Go and bring your machine up to 512MB (which is probably the maximum that a PIII board is likely to be able to use). Never mind the processor -it's slow, but it's perfectly serviceable. It will be the (lack of) memory that will cripple you.

A 30GB hard drive is also a little on the small size (I expect you've just quoted the bare disk size, and not the free space available to Oracle). 20GB of free disk space is plenty big enough for a working database, but you'll be hard pressed to practice database cloning or working with BLOBS or setting up data guard without lots more disk space. But for the basics, 20GB of free space will be fine.

All that said, will 9i install on your machine as it is currently configured? Yes.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Sep 07 2004 - 06:40:29 CDT