Re: I have to install Oracle, one Q

From: Richard Franklin <richard_p_franklin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2004 09:07:36 -0700

"QUESTION" <serbia_at_blic.net> wrote in message news:<chh5n9$qq8$1_at_ariane.blic.net>...
> I have PIII (866Mhz, 256MB, 30GB Hdd ...), Win XP Pro
> and now I have to install ORACLE 9i on local maschine so I can learn.
> Can I have this version ORACLE on my computer because of my low
> configuration.
>
> PS.
>
> I had Win 2000 Pro and ORACLE 8i. This works great.
> Still, I have to start 2 oracle services by hand.
>
> Thanks

absolutely. I have used 400mhz machines with either linux or xp pro and 256m ram, much less disk space, and you can get get it to work and do the most basic of exercises. you wouldn't obviously want to try and actually store lots of data, use in any sort of production, or multi-use for office work at the same time, but you can get it to run - pretty slowly - but enough to learn a bit. if the goal is just to learn the product and technology a bit, and this is your only choice, do it. if you have budget for more powerful hw, you will get a whole lot better "user experience".

you do need at least 4-5G hd to even get things going, but it sounds like you have that covered.

remember, it will be slow, but cheap :>)

/rpf Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 11:07:36 CDT