Re: From 10g, "SQL Statement Length" description disappeared....

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:22:17 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2004 10:14:55 -0700, jl23493_at_jp.ibm.com (Tadaaki Kawamura)
> wrote:
>

>>http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10755/limits003.htm#sthref3594
>>

>>From 10g, on the above 'Logical Database Limits' section of

>>'Reference' document, the description for 'SQL Statement Length'
>>limitation (64K) has been dropped.
>>Is this mean there is NO limitation on 10g or just mistake?

> I think this newsgroup is the incorrect address for such questions, as
> probably no one ever has built or needed to build a 64k statement.
> Please followup with Oracle support, or better still, revise your code
> and your practices, you ever end up in such a situation.
> Why does the SQL languiage have views?
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Actually I have been in situations where sending single SQL statements to the database in the megabyte range was not unusual ... constituted about 7-8% of all DML.

The solution, as I have posted here before, was to use DBMS_SQL's ability to execute a PL/SQL table. The source code for this can be found at: http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_sql.html.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington