Re: From 10g, "SQL Statement Length" description disappeared....

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-bee-em.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:55:29 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2004 10:14:55 -0700, jl23493_at_jp.ibm.com (Tadaaki Kawamura)
> wrote:
>

>>http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10755/limits003.htm#sthref3594
>>

>>From 10g, on the above 'Logical Database Limits' section of

>>'Reference' document, the description for 'SQL Statement Length'
>>limitation (64K) has been dropped.
>>Is this mean there is NO limitation on 10g or just mistake?

> I think this newsgroup is the incorrect address for such questions, as
> probably no one ever has built or needed to build a 64k statement.
> Please followup with Oracle support, or better still, revise your code
> and your practices, you ever end up in such a situation.
> Why does the SQL languiage have views?
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Actually various tools, especially in the DSS world build quite big statements. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit a 64k limit. Also if this limit included DDL statements such as create table a generated range-partitioned table definition could quickly reach 64k....

Cheers
Serge Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 18:55:29 CDT