Re: 64 bit software

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:14:33 +0000 (UTC)

Not relevant to this post, but here's a thought about migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit.

It will take more memory to perform an in-memory sort

Oracle sorting mechanism includes a tree-structure with lots of pointers. Pointer sizes double on the migration, so the tree size double.

I have a (generated data) example where an in-memory sort requires 320MB (sort_area_size) to sort in 32-bit Oracle, and 510MB to sort in 64-bit

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 2nd