Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:07:58 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:4136ceab$0$18602$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Bob Jones wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I don't see how the database would be vulnerable to media failure. At
what
> > point?
>
> Immediately he issues the 'alter database open resetlogs' command, which
> your version of the recovery command requires him to do.
>
> A media failure of any sort after that time cannot be recovered from,
except
> by doing exceedingly complex steps which are prone to be gotten wrong.
>
> If you don't know this, why did you offer the advice you did? And if you
did
> know it, why didn't you mention it?

In order to provide further advice, I need to make many assumptions about OP's environment, his level of skill, and his purpose. Instead of sitting here all day trying to figure out what is in his mind, I would rather wait for his response. Anytime you restore a cold backup, it's like having a new database. Everything starts over. I don't think I need to tell him how to manage a new database.

> >> No, you appear to prefer writing answers that make no sense at all.
> >>

> > You have not so far explained how it made no sense, the very question I
> > asked from the beginning.
>
> It lacks sense in the same way that if I asked you how to peel a potato,
the
> answer 'there's a bottle in the fridge' would lack sense.

That seems to agree with what I have been saying all along.

> I suppose you *could* peel a potato with a bottle, having first drained it
> of its contents and smashed it. But it would be an unusual approach, and
> one you might do on a camping holiday only after you'd forgotten to pack
> the potato peeler and you've established that no other functioning potato
> peelers can be found in nearby shops or amongst fellow campers.

It is more like if a person wants to know how to peel a potato, you show him how. You don't tell him to thred the potato instead. The analogy serves no purpose here other than trying to divert the issue further.

> Similarly, when asked 'How do I recover a database using a cold backup?',
> one replies "By issuing the command 'recover database .. using backup
> controlfile'" only if one doesn't want to be making much sense. Because
> ordinarily, and most commonly, no you don't.

Why not? When you lose everything, the only thing you have is a cold backup and archive logs.

> Of course, if you get asked "I have lost all my control files and I only
> have a binary backup to restore from, so how do I recover", your answer
> makes a lot more sense. Rather like if I ask "Is there any more white
> wine", the answer "There's a bottle in the fridge" suddenly becomes
> sensible.

As I said, I don't try to guess OP's situation. There can be many IFs.

> > Some qualities can worse than ignorance.
>
> Constructing a sentence without the verb in it isn't actually one of them.
> But not retracting a wrong and potentially dangerous answer when its
degree
> of error has been pointed out to you is, I agree.

This sounds like an argument from a lousy lawyer who argue only for the win not for the fact. Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 22:07:58 CDT