Re: Recommendations for OS

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:29:11 GMT

Dank wrote:

> I'm your typical poor student (cue violin), I've done all my learning on
> Oracle so far from home on the remote Uni machine (SunOS) and now I want
> to setup my own server so I can learn more about the DBA side and have a
> free run of it all. I see from the Oracle site that it's only (for linux)
> certified to work on Redhat/Suse Advanced Server, which alas are not cheap
> [read: not free] and that the X86 SunOS version is marked as 'projected'.
> Are the certified OS's the be-all and end-all? If I run 10g on Suse 9i
> Personal Edition or X86 SunOS would the DBMS chug along fine? Ideally I
> would like to run it on the X86 SunOS version, any suggestions/pointers
> would be most welcome :]

Linux, specifically the 'Pro' editions that include compiler and dev libraries, such as Fedora, RedHat 9, SuSE Professional 9.1 The Personal editions, like SuSE 9.1 Personal don't have enough libraries. (The certified versions are the ones for which Oracle will provide human and documentation support. Overkill for learning in many cases, especially since Oracle's main docco is online at http://docs.oracle.com)

Personal edition is, unfortunately, only certified on Windows platforms - easier to download the free version from http://otn.oracle.com and forget about Personal until Oracle comes to their senses (except perhaps to get support contract with access to Metalink for notes and patches)

And then spend some time googling for the nit-picky stuff that actually makes the install happen. Benefit of giving you a leg up on _both_ DBA and SA work. (Werner Puschitz has a wonderful site for Oracle-on-RedHat at http://www.puschitz.com, and hopefully Howard Rogers will get his web-based info again as well.)

SunOS x86 looks promising, but it's not a mainstream yet for Oracle, so ports and tips will probably lag for a while.

Whatever you do, try to go for >512M RAM on the machine. Although 384M (and even 256M) will do, it's not necessarily pleasant. On the other hand you will find even 400MHz CPU almost satisfactory, so no need to jump on the latest 26.8THz machine.

Even better, if you happen to have access to a Windows machine *as well*, grab Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) and get the free X11 server that runs on Windows. Then you can run all GUI operations, such as install & EM, on your headless Linux box from Windows - makes Windows useful again <g>!

HTH
/Hans Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 20:29:11 CDT