Re: 9i RAC and LOG_ARCHIVE_TARGET_n on OCFS

From: Steffen Roegner <sroegner_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 21:35:25 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> I'd suggest forgetting the advice you read as oss.oracle.com. Not only
> as Howard says does each instance need to be able to find the archive
> logs for all instances in case of recovery they also need to be able to
> find them to rollback transactions for failed nodes.

Daniel,

we have of course tested that approach - we changed the parameter for each instance to point to its own directory in the archive partition, we had some log switches and a level0 rman backup. Then we dropped a datafile and recovered the database with rman. All this worked.

So what we were concerned about was
a) the obviously incompatible directions in the different sources of information on that topic
b) the fact that even listing these many archive log files takes so long. Waiting some seconds for a list of 200 files does not make me feel good (we have at least 24 files/hr). After the change it would be like 6 files per hour in every instances directory.

Anyway - thank you for your replies. We decided to keep the whole thing in one directory to keep it simple and because losing that ocfs partition dedicated to just archive logs would not do much harm (except for fuss).

best regards
Steffen Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 14:35:25 CDT