Re: Load test; v$session.status=ACTIVE and v$session_wait.event=SQL*Net message from client

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:10:54 +0000 (UTC)

Okay - that was the easy guess.
The next guess is not really provable.

If you run your query through autotrace, you may find that the plan for joining v$session_wait to v$session involves a sort merge between the two sets of data.

Since the sorts occur in sequence, a little time has to elapse between one set of data being queried and the other being queried. V$ are not read-consistent.

Possibly you get all the sessions which are active, and then start looking for matching session_wait rows - and by the time you start looking, the sessions which were active have gone inactive and are waiting for something.

By blasting a load of fast queries at the database, I managed to get an occasional 'ACTIVE' session that was also 'WAITING'. You might find it easier if you have a lot of busy sessions running lots of very short round-trips.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 2nd