Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.valid>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:31:20 +1200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Bob Jones wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>I don't see how the database would be vulnerable to media failure. At what
>>point?

> Immediately he issues the 'alter database open resetlogs' command, which
> your version of the recovery command requires him to do.
>
> A media failure of any sort after that time cannot be recovered from, except
> by doing exceedingly complex steps which are prone to be gotten wrong.

I'm sorry Howard. Although 99.99% of your advice is absolutely spot on, this is nothing of the sort. When you're trying to get a database back up, who gives a sh*t about the future. All you're trying to do is to get back a live database. The first thing you're going to do is to make a backup when it's alive again.

To consider the possibility of a media failure when you're in this situation is a luxury none of us in the real world can allow ourselves. Once we're back in the land of the living, it becomes a real threat, and steps ashould be taken to protect against it. KISS... do things one at a time in order of importance.

If you think I'm out of order, then tell me so. But remember, I do this for a living, too.

Steve

[big snip] Received on Thu Sep 02 2004 - 05:31:20 CDT