Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:51:15 +0200

Gents,

it seems to me there is some misunderstanding as to what the OP is trying to accomplish; as I understand it the OP wants:
- some sort of PITR (as close to "now" as possible)

AFAICT, the OP wants to recover (PITR), but only happens to have a cold backup, and all online, and off-line redo log files.
Now, you can restore your cold*) backup, and everything is honkey-dorey; however, you lost 2 days of data. Where trying to recover those two days, two scenario's are possible (at least):
The OP does still have the original controlfile(s) and online redolog files, or he doesn't.

As he has not stated that, nor reacted to this thread, I guess the rest is academically.

Howard - why would this scenario never arise? Your hot backups just aren't usable (tapes: rust on wheels), that's all it takes, I'd say.
And not verifying your tapes is a non-proper backup scenario in my book.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

*) Controlfile(s), online redolog files, datafiles, (S)PFILE(s),
directory structures, password file