Re: 64 bit software

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:56:26 GMT

Oradba Linux wrote:

> What are the pros and cons of using 64 bit software ?

Do an internet search on "64-bit vs 32-bit". 64-bit allows you to address larger memory spaces, larger native integers, system time beyond the year 2038, not much else, IIRC.

(when is the last time you needed to multiply two numbers and come up with a precise result greater than 2^32-1?)

For "ordinary" processing circa first few years of the twenty-first century, 64-bit can actually slow you down -- moving twice as many bits in the CPU registers to accomplish the same job.

Oh, you were asking about Oracle? ;-)

I tried 64-bit when I tested upgrades to 9i under Solaris 8. The basic installs and such worked fine, but when 3rd-party clients (Java, Perl) need to be re-linked, that's when the troubles started. I retreated to 32-bit.

--Mark Bole Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 22:56:26 CDT