Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:34:43 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:41362c4e$0$12422$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> >> "Option". Show me where in your post you indicated that you were giving
> > the
> >> original poster an 'option'. Or that you'd detailed all the other
> > different
> >> ways he could recover that did NOT involve using a backup control file
> >> and issuing a resetlogs.
> >>

> > I don't need to give OP all the options for recovery. That was not what
he
> > asked for. His question was very specific - HOW TO APPLY ARCHIVE LOGS TO
> > COLD BACKUP. Which part of that don't you understand?
>
> None of it. Because you do NOT apply redo to a backup.

Apparently OP found the need to. I am sure a lot of DBAs have done that on various occasions.

> Next question.

> > answer
> >>
> >> Because the correct answer to his question is: the temperature of your
> >> backups makes no difference to how you recover your database.
Therefore,
> >> all the standard recovery methods are available.
> >>

> > This is a correct statement but not the answer to OP's question.
>
> Well, it makes rather more sense than threatening to render his database
> vulnerable to media failure.

I don't see how the database would be vulnerable to media failure. At what point?

> > Yes, I prefer simplicity.
>
> No, you appear to prefer writing answers that make no sense at all.

You have not so far explained how it made no sense, the very question I asked from the beginning.

> > Unnecessary complexity is the cause of most
> > screwups.
>
> Ignorance usually is, actually.

Some qualities can worse than ignorance.