Re: parallel read and buffer cache

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:12:54 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated July 27th

"utkanbir" <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi Gurus ,
>
> a select statement runs parallel bypasses the buffer cache and uses
> pga instead .

Yes - though if you want to split hairs I think it is in the UGA which is, of course, inside the SGA of a PX slave.
> if the above statement is correct , than a datawarehouse (like me)
> which uses mostly parallel queries does not take any advantage of
> having a large buffer cache , does it?
Potentially correct - and arguably you should swing your memory towards buffering at the file system level, and maximising the benefit of in-memory sorting, hashing, messaging etc. Bear in mind, though, that not all parallel execution is going to be direct read tablescans and index full scans, especially if you have partitoned tables. There are other uses of the buffer cache that may also come into play with temporary segments. As a quick (and not entirely complete) test of how much of your buffer may be redundant, you can always check x$bh where state = 0. These are FREE buffers, which may be free because the blocks they have held are from dropped or truncated objects - but may be free because they have never been used. Add in the predicate dbarfil != 0 to identify the buffers that have never been used.