Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 06:08:17 +1000

Bob Jones wrote:

>> > How do you know it was not an option for OP to use a backup
>> > controlfile?
>>
>> "Option". Show me where in your post you indicated that you were giving

> the
>> original poster an 'option'. Or that you'd detailed all the other

> different
>> ways he could recover that did NOT involve using a backup control file
>> and issuing a resetlogs.
>>

> I don't need to give OP all the options for recovery. That was not what he
> asked for. His question was very specific - HOW TO APPLY ARCHIVE LOGS TO A
> COLD BACKUP. Which part of that don't you understand?

None of it. Because you do NOT apply redo to a backup.

Next question.

>> > Please explain how I mislead people by giving such a simple direct

> answer
>> > to a simple question.
>>
>> Because the correct answer to his question is: the temperature of your
>> backups makes no difference to how you recover your database. Therefore,
>> all the standard recovery methods are available.
>>

> This is a correct statement but not the answer to OP's question.

Well, it makes rather more sense than threatening to render his database vulnerable to media failure.

> Yes, I prefer simplicity.

No, you appear to prefer writing answers that make no sense at all.

> Unnecessary complexity is the cause of most
> screwups.

Ignorance usually is, actually.

> You should go back and read OP's question again.

Whatever.

HJR Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 15:08:17 CDT