Inserting/updating CLOB - works in one DB but not in another

From: heidi <heidistn_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:20:36 GMT

I am puzzled with a problem that was reported by one of our customers in Germany; the one that I cannot reproduce locally.

A Java program, using the JDBC driver, runs this code snippet:

CLOB clob = CLOB.createTemporary(con, false, CLOB.DURATION_CALL); blobs.addElement(clob);
char[] buffer = string.toCharArray();
clob.putChars(1, buffer);
((OraclePreparedStatement) ps).setCLOB(index, clob);

This results in the following SQL command:

update CHART set DESCRIPTION = ? where NAME = 'Procedure1'

DESCRIPTION is a column of CLOB type.

Both Oracle installations (ours and the customer's) use the same DB server
(V9.2.0.1.0) and the same JDBC driver. Our installation works fine. The
German one fails with the following error:

java.sql.SQLException: Keine weiteren Daten aus Socket zu lesen java.sql.SQLException: E/A-Exception: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
SRV SQLException: java.sql.SQLException: Keine weiteren Daten aus Socket zu lesen
SRV getSQLState = null
SRV getErrorCode = 17410
SRV ERROR: java.sql.SQLException: Keine weiteren Daten aus Socket zu lesen

Code 17410 means "No more data to read from socket".

I suspected some obscure differences in character sets and their treatment by CLOB, so I attempted to create a new database with the exact same contents and settings as our customer's:

nls_characterset = AL32UTF8
nls_nchar_characterset = UTF8
nls_language = GERMAN
nsl_territory = GERMANY

but still cannot reproduce the problem.

I hope that someone can help me out.

TIA Heidi Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 14:20:36 CDT