Re: saving contents of 6 tables simultaneously..

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:17:03 GMT

How is it different from insert /*+ append */?

the load is high on the machine, that's why I prefer to serialize the jobs. Timestamps are not possible, w/o significant app modifications (e.g. tables allow row deletion)

Version change is a longer term goal.

thnx.

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:42:35 GMT, Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote:

>NetComrade wrote:
>
>> We have an application doing the following around 10pm
>>
>> truncate table saved_table_1;
>> insert into saved_table_1 select * from table_1;
>>

>> for 6 tables.. each 'save' is an oracle job.
>>
>> The problem is, this server now has 5 such application, which
>> translates into 30 jobs running simultaneously, which the server
>> doesn't like.
>>
>> My suggestion was, that we open cursors for each table in each
>> application (to insure that we catch all records prior to 10pm, which
>> is what's important for the app), and 'save' tables one by one,
>> instead of doing all 6 at once (have 1 job per application instead of
>> 6 jobs). However, the problem I think is going to be 'fetching' from a
>> cursor, instead of just doing a insert into .. select *.. and is going
>> to be slower, is there are a way to speed it up? Is there are a 'bulk
>> insert' from a cursor?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
>> remove NSPAM to email
>
>What is the actual error? ('Doesn't like' is not terribly helpful)
>Do you need to stay with Oracle8i?
>Is it possible multi-table inserts may help?
>(http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/statements_913a.htm#SQLRF01604)

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 14:17:03 CDT