saving contents of 6 tables simultaneously..

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:13:15 GMT

We have an application doing the following around 10pm

truncate table saved_table_1;
insert into saved_table_1 select * from table_1;

for 6 tables.. each 'save' is an oracle job.

The problem is, this server now has 5 such application, which translates into 30 jobs running simultaneously, which the server doesn't like.

My suggestion was, that we open cursors for each table in each application (to insure that we catch all records prior to 10pm, which is what's important for the app), and 'save' tables one by one, instead of doing all 6 at once (have 1 job per application instead of 6 jobs). However, the problem I think is going to be 'fetching' from a cursor, instead of just doing a insert into .. select *.. and is going to be slower, is there are a way to speed it up? Is there are a 'bulk insert' from a cursor?

Thanks!
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 13:13:15 CDT