Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:26:18 +1000

Tim Kearsley wrote:

> Depending on what was behind the OP question, I'm not sure that Bob
> was writing "complete nonsense".
>
> A few "ifs":
>
> 1) If you have a database in ARCHIVELOG mode and
> 2) If all you have available is an old, cold backup and
> 3) If you have all archive logs available since your old, cold backup
> and
> 4) If you have a control file creation script (e.g. the output of a
> BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE)
>
> then you can recover your database back to the current point in time
> by issuing a RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE... can't you?

Just define what you mean by 'recover you database back to the current point'. It is irrelevant for the purposes of assessing that question whether your backup is cold or not. The question is: what sort of failure have you suffered.

I don't know why that particular message doesn't seem to be getting through.

*IF* you have lost ALL your control files, then a 'using backup controlfile' recovery MIGHT be called for.

In fact, your point (4) above means that even now, with all control files lost, I would simply be able to execute the backup trace script. Which, if you care to read it, you will note does NOT mention 'using backup controlfile' syntax.

ONLY if (1) you are in archivelog mode and (2) you have a backup (temperature irrelevant) and (3) you lose EVERY copy of your control file and (4) you only have a *binary* backup of the control file

...only *then* do you issue the command 'recover database using backup controlfile'.

> A lot of "ifs" I know, but the principle is sound I believe, and I
> have done it myself on one occasion.

There are no ifs in all of this. There are different recovery scenarios. To which the appropriate recovery command response is not a matter of guesswork, voodoo or Mystic Meg hypothesising.

Given the list of 4 conditions you specified, you DID NOT need to issue a 'using backup controlfile' recovery command.

Period.
HJR