Re: Disabling ARCHIVELOG problem

From: Chloe Crowder <chloe.crowder_at_bl.uk>
Date: 1 Sep 2004 01:36:29 -0700

sergeant.rock_at_gmail.com (Wario) wrote in message news:<c75b43bb.0408311311.1a3e8bd2_at_posting.google.com>...
> Why are you disabling archive? Are you trying to reduce the amount of
> redo to save space or time?
>
> Disabling archive is a bad idea. I think you should look for another
> way to reduce redo.
>
> 1. Use hints for inserting to avoid redo.
>
> insert /*+ append */ into mytable ........;
>
> 2. use SQLLDR with unrecoverable option to insert bulk data.
>
> 3. Disable indexes before process and rebuild when done.
>
> 4. Update only columns that change not the whole row.
>
> 5. Tune the SQL in batch jobs.

Wario

I agree entirely, I certainly don't want to do it! I think the main intent was to save time, though the space issue is not insignificant (we expect around 50GB of redo logs to be generated - equivalent to a weeks normal running).

Alas this is a third party application, and we have no control over the SQL being run. While I've never seen the code I have little doubt the applications could be substantially improved. We are their largest customer by quite a wide margin and as such find problems no-one else does.

Chloe Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 03:36:29 CDT