Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 1 Sep 2004 01:27:58 -0700

Depending on what was behind the OP question, I'm not sure that Bob was writing "complete nonsense".

A few "ifs":

  1. If you have a database in ARCHIVELOG mode and
  2. If all you have available is an old, cold backup and
  3. If you have all archive logs available since your old, cold backup and
  4. If you have a control file creation script (e.g. the output of a BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE)
then you can recover your database back to the current point in time by issuing a RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE... can't you?

A lot of "ifs" I know, but the principle is sound I believe, and I have done it myself on one occasion.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley
HBS
Milton Keynes Council