Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:32:54 +1000

Bob Jones wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

>> Bob Jones wrote:
>>

>> > "robson" <dbanewbie_at_yahoo.com.br> wrote in message

>> > You can specify "RECOVER DATABASE...USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE". This
>> > will allow you roll forward to a point of your desire.
>>
>> Please don't post complete nonsense.
>>

> Okay, let's see who is posting nonsense here.
>
>> The 'using backup controlfile' clause should only be specified if that's,
>> strangely enough, actually what you're using. Unless he restores his
>> control files from backup, it would be lunacy to use the clause.
>>

> How do you know it was not an option for OP to use a backup controlfile?

"Option". Show me where in your post you indicated that you were giving the original poster an 'option'. Or that you'd detailed all the other different ways he could recover that did NOT involve using a backup control file and issuing a resetlogs.

[snip]

> Please explain how I mislead people by giving such a simple direct answer
> to a simple question.

Because the correct answer to his question is: the temperature of your backups makes no difference to how you recover your database. Therefore, all the standard recovery methods are available.

Your answer was misleading because it told him how to perform ONE type of recovery without once mentioning the multiple other types, and without mentioning the severe risks and inconveniences incurred by his using it.

I suppose you could indeed call your answer simple. It is after all the root of the word 'simpleton'.

> I think nothing is more misleading than providing
> answers irrelevant to the question.

Then do yourself and everyone else a favour by not doing so.

HJR

--
http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com