Re: How to apply archive logs on an cold backup

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:12:01 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:41351d6f$0$9811$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Bob Jones wrote:
>

> > "robson" <dbanewbie_at_yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
> >> i have the database with archive log and one cold backup.
> >> how to apply archive log in cold backup?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> robson
> >
> > You can specify "RECOVER DATABASE...USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE". This will
> > allow you roll forward to a point of your desire.
>
> Please don't post complete nonsense.

Okay, let's see who is posting nonsense here.

> The 'using backup controlfile' clause should only be specified if that's,
> strangely enough, actually what you're using. Unless he restores his
> control files from backup, it would be lunacy to use the clause.

How do you know it was not an option for OP to use a backup controlfile? The only thing he asked for was to apply achive logs to a cold backup.

> Never mind that an unnecessary use of the clause requires an unnecessary
> resetlogs, with all the massive downtime and requirement to re-backup the
> database that brings.

Again, you are jumping to conclusion without fully understanding OP's situation. I am puzzled by the use of word "unnecessary". If the clause and resetlogs are unnecessary, why are they even there. I would rather let OP decide what is necessary or unnecessary. If he wants to apply archive logs to a cold backup, maybe he doesn't care about massive downtime.

> If he loses one DBF, replace that DBF and issue just plain old 'recover
> datafile X'. If he loses multiple DBFs, restore those DBFS and issue a
> plain old 'recover database'. If he loses all his control files, then
> restore the control file and issue a 'recover database using backup
> controlfile'.

At no point he said anything about missing a file. He simply want to apply archive logs to a cold backup and I gave him a direct answer.

> If you don't know how to recover a database, that's fine. But don't
mislead
> others who are looking for assistance, OK?

Please explain how I mislead people by giving such a simple direct answer to a simple question. I think nothing is more misleading than providing answers irrelevant to the question. Received on Tue Aug 31 2004 - 21:12:01 CDT