Re: killing sessions in v$session

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 17:00:01 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4133fc9d$0$7223$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> yls177 wrote:
>
> > select status, serial#, sid from v$session
> >
> > get the sid, serial# from v$session
> >
> > alter system kill session 'sid, serial#';
> >
> > select status, serial#, sid from v$session but gives the status KILLED
> >

> > I understand that it could be doing rolling back and it could take a
> > long time. Hence, i will monitor again and replied later.
> >
> > Cheers
>

> Sorry... is there actually a question here?
>
> A session will appear killed in V$session until such time as it attempts to
> perform some new action (such as a select against a table, or a piece of
> DML). Only at that point does the original session get a 'you've been
> killed' message, and only then does the session disappear from v$session.
>
> If you want to hurry things along, kill the session as you have done first,
> and *then* practice your kill -9 skills, assuming you're on Linux or Unix.

Of course, there's always
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=BUG&p_id=3818395 (Windows/9205 bug, alter system kill session terminates SMON with extreme prejudice, apparently something to do with killing a session that is running a procedure.)

I can see someone sitting there going "you stupid machine, I said 'alter sytem kill sesssion' not 'alter system kill system'!"

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~mary/hyperscore/