Re: Shared Server Configuration: When exactly is the connect to the dispatcher established?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 06:55:50 +1000

Christian Hartmann wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've got a simple question regarding a Shared Server Configuration:
> When exactly does a client connect to a dispatcher. Only during the
> connect phase or every time a request or even a transaction is
> started.
>
> Or, in other words: Is a connection of a client to a dispatcher solid
> as long as the conenction of the client exist?
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian

It's solid and held as long as the session.

That is true even in a connection pooling configuration, where the user's connection is sort-of unplugged and re-plugged to try to make best use of the finite number of connection sockets the dispatcher can handle. The "unplugging" does not count as disconnecting.

So, yes: the connection to a dispatcher is made when you say 'connect scott/tiger' and remains connected until you type 'exit'.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Aug 31 2004 - 15:55:50 CDT