Oracle 10g installer seems to use the wrong host name

From: Sam Talebbeik <sam777t_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 13:42:45 -0700

My operating system is Windows 2000 Professional. I have attempted to install Oracle 10g version 10.1.0.2.0.

My computer has a host name let's say "mypchost" . What I usually do is I login locally to "mypchost". After I have logged in, I start my connection to my internet service provider using a DSL connection and get connected to the Internet.

I noticed that after the installation, the Oracle 10g installer has configured my Oracle 10g configuration files, not with the "static" host name (mypchost in this case) but with a "temporary host name" assigned to me for that specific Internet DSL session. This temporary host name is apparently assigned by the ISP. For example my ISP assigns me a temporary name such as adsl-653-20552-1851-1466.dsl.snfc21.ispprovider.net . It is this long, temporary name that has been recorded in Oracle 10g installation files.

As a result of this problem the listener service did not start after a reboot. I fixed it manually. However, I am having a lot of difficulty fixing the problem with the Oracle 10g Database Console service that fails to start with a system error number 2. I know as a fact that the wrong host name was recorded in various Java and Console configuration files.

Has anyone seen this issue? Is this the expected behavior ? Is there a way to get around this issue during the installation time? I am at a point that I think my best course of action is to uninstall and then reinstall the system when I am NOT connected to the Internet.

   Sam Received on Tue Aug 31 2004 - 15:42:45 CDT