Re: Two instances with same SID in a same machine

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 13:30:52 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<6hQYc.77809$X12.49994_at_edtnps84>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
>
> > Maybe there is "too much" intelligence in the listener. Please post
> > output of lsnrctl status, both homes.
> >
> > jg
>
> I think the Listener has just the right amount of intelligence. More will
> make configuring even harder :-Q
>
> You will note from the log file from home 'B' that the listener simply does
> not have enough information to determine which specific instance ... there
> is NO HOME information transmitted from the client. And also note that the
> GLOBAL Database Name (and therefore the service) is identical for both
> instances.
>
> Remember that a listener has the ability to listen on behalf of all services
> regardless of home (even non-DB services). Therefore, any environment that
> uses duplicate SIDs *and* duplicate Global DB Name, is asking for this kind
> of situation. Highly _not_ recomended.

So don't use duplicate Global DB Name?

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/rac.920/a96600/undrstnd.htm#RACIN608

Sorry I don't have the resources to try this, hope it helps, I'm hoping that the failover enhancements mysteriously enable it to work, simply because you can specify home in the listener.ora, and ports (at least) to get to different listeners in client tnsnames.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Where did this backup copy thing come from? A digital thing lasts