Re: SAME config

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:11:42 -0800

I understand that the generally accepted use of the term "stripe width" refers to the size of an individual disk's contribution to the stripe. I also know that the term has also been used (much less frequently) to refer to the entire stripe. Since 1 MB is uncommonly large for the first (generally accepted) definition, I wanted to make sure of the precise meaning of the term contemplated by the S.A.M.E. paper. I think that would be a question for Oracle cogniscenti.

Currently, I am under the impression that the term "1 MB strip size" refers to an individual disk, within a stripe.

I certainly agree that it is more appropriate to ask Sun about configuration details of the Sun StorEdge 3310 RAID, and will do so.

Thank you.

DG