Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 11:25:43 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:<isf8j0tje2gulbrvshtg0cous96da6s1u1_at_4ax.com>...
> On 31 Aug 2004 01:14:05 -0700, niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com (Niall
> Litchfield) wrote:
>
> >don_at_burleson.cc (Don Burleson) wrote in message news:<998d28f7.0408290431.6e55433f_at_posting.google.com>...
> >> 2 - The rates for top-shelf Oracle gurus like Sybrand, Niall and HJR
> >> continue to rise every year.
> >
> >My wife's going to love the idea of me as a top-shelf sort of guy....
> >
> >Now about that pay rise....
> >
> >Niall Litchfield
> >Oracle DBA
> >http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com
>
> Ditto. The last pay raise allowed me maybe 10 extra beers per month.

When I was in the gummint software world (at Computer Sciences Corporation), my boss (who everyone acknowledged was doing an excellent job) got a few-pennies-an-hour raise. His reaction was pretty much the same as giving a few pennies to a waitperson as a tip.

As my own boss, I'm definitely up there with the star cheap-bastards. Haven't given myself a raise in years. Wouldn't want to have to compete with those top shelf guys. The odd thing is I would work cheaper as a regular hire, but people would rather pay me more money as a bargain-priced consomething. I don't understand business economics.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I think pimps, drug dealers and international spies are the only true