Is it possible to alter an FK to make it indexed?

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:16:12 +0100

Version: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.2) / Solaris 2.6

Unindexed FKs are generally a 'bad thing' (although I recognise this is not necessarily always so) - for one thing performance can be affected and another is that deadlocks may become more likely.

Is there an alter table statement that can be issued to modify an FK constraint to specify that an index should be used? I believe this is possible when using the 'ADD constraint' clause of alter table just.

If so, is there any difference between doing that and simply issuing a 'create index' statemet for the FK column?

Thanks...

--

jeremy