Re: REPOST: RMAN question

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:11:14 GMT

Personal experience:

I still have the backup tapes from my original Sun SparcStation (1989 vintage), and can still read them, using an old SCSI-based tape drive and tar.

However, no operational disk drive in my shop is older than 7 years. And all those disk drives have been formatted at least twice.

That said, IMO any current B/R strategy probably should have a "copy of incremental to hard-disk retention" policy for the flexibility and speed of recovery, if nothing else.

Question: what are current viable alternatives for offsite disaster recovery storage when dealing with data sets greater than typical DVD (say 50GB and up)?

/Hans Received on Tue Aug 31 2004 - 01:11:14 CDT