Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2004 15:45:58 -0700

Moore's Law is transistor density, not speed. http://www.intel.com/research/silicon/mooreslaw.htm

> 4 ? Even a well-tuned Oracle databases has a bottleneck.
>
> 5 - Management often ignores the "big picture" and makes decisions
> based solely on CYA, total cost, performance benefit and total
> database downtime.
>
> Ergo:
>
> 1 - Throwing hardware at an Oracle problem is a legitimate management
> decision, and in some cases a cost-effective one.
>
> 2 - Faster CPU will speed-up ANY CPU-Bound Oracle database.
>
> 3 - High-speed SSD will speed up ANY I/O-bound Oracle database.
>
> 4 - Faster network will speed-up ANY "SQL*Net" bound Oracle database.

Oddly enough, I've seen cases where these are not true. For example, speeding up the cpu leading to more wait state _conflicts_ for I/O, which cascades into a slower overall response time noticed by users. Kinda like siphoning more gas outa Ol' Yeller with a smooth flow rather than it going blorp-blorp.

> By the way, (lest I not alienate you by agreeing with you), I've also
> seen problems with super-large data caches (for high-update databases)
> and I think that data buffer caches will soon be as obsolete as drum
> devices!

Tell it to Billy Cobham.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Golf clubs, anyone?
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sandiego-sub/access/682328721.html?FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=Aug+21%2C+2004&author=Shannon+Tangonan+and+Mark+Arner&desc=%242+million+plus+in+stolen+goods+seized+%7C+Inquiry+called+offshoot+to+arrest+of+officer%2C+wife