Re: Migrating from HP-UX to AIX

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:08:49 +0200

Comments embedded

On 30 Aug 2004 12:10:41 -0700, josil20_at_gmail.com (Joseph Silverius) wrote:

>Hi All,
> We are planning to migration one of our Oracle 9i databases from
>HP-UX to AIX. What are our options? Upgrading our database to 10g in
>this process will be a plus. Our database size if 2.5 TB, so
>export/import is the least preferred option.
>
> Couple of weeks back, I was in an Oracle presentation and I
>tossed this question to the group. I got the following options from
>them. Please suggest more options and add your comments.
>
>1. 10g has a fast export and import feature. Can we use 9i's export
>and 10g's fast import or do a fast export using 10g client from a 9i
>database?

It has *never ever* been possible to use a higher version export against a lower version database.
The second 'alternative' is not going to work. For the first 'alternative' you need to make sure the export file format is identical.

>2. One guy the Oracle presentation claimed that he has done an RMAN
>clone across platforms. If it works, our migration effort will be
>reduced considerably.

He may claim that, but Oracle has never supported cross platform compatibility. The only supported way to perform a platform swap is export/import.

>3. Upgrade the database to 10g and use transportable tablespaces to
>migrate data
>
>Thanks,
>Joe

Please avoid posting to comp.databases.oracle, it was abolished years ago after a ballot, and many providers do not carry it.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA