Re: SQL Server 2000 Migrate to Oracle

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2004 11:34:12 -0700

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<u4qmkk7j4.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, hjr_at_dizwell.com wrote:
> > Galen Boyer wrote:

> >> Here's an attribute name:
> >>
> >> financial information submission failure penalty
> >>
> >> This is spec'd out by the business I'm the datamodeler for,
> >> but I guess I'm in a ridiculous business, just like the OP
> >> cause my database doesn't support that name? I abbreviated it
> >> to, finclinfsubmfailpnlty. I kind of think the fully spelled
> >> out version is easier to understand.
> >
> > I would have gone for fisfp myself. Or fispnlty
> >
> > Nowhere near 20 characters, still less 30.
> >
> > Actually, I might just have gone for COL14. Who knows?
> >

> >> Howard,
> >>
> >> For the first time in my years reading this board, I feel like
> >> I'm reading a posting from the soapbox of Daniel Morgan. The
> >> truth is that the <= 30 limit is just that, a limitation.
> >
> > But it's a limitation that's there because Oracle, in their
> > wisdom, thought that no sensible people would absolutely have
> > to have more than 30 characters. Now, they've made stupid
> > decisions before, but this ain't one of 'em as far as I'm
> > concerned. I can abbreviate your long-winded name in 9
> > characters, not 30. In 5 if you'll let me.
>
> I can beat your crypticness. I can create a single character
> UNIX script, q.sh, which will solve everybody's needs. Sign of a
> good lazy programmer. But, not all that descriptive, that's for
> sure.

Hmmmm... (8i:)

SQL> desc dba_objects;

 ----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------
 OWNER                                              VARCHAR2(30)
 OBJECT_NAME                                        VARCHAR2(128)
 SUBOBJECT_NAME                                     VARCHAR2(30)
 OBJECT_ID                                          NUMBER
 DATA_OBJECT_ID                                     NUMBER
 OBJECT_TYPE                                        VARCHAR2(18)
 CREATED                                            DATE
 LAST_DDL_TIME                                      DATE
 TIMESTAMP                                          VARCHAR2(19)
 STATUS                                             VARCHAR2(7)
 TEMPORARY                                          VARCHAR2(1)
 GENERATED                                          VARCHAR2(1)
 SECONDARY                                          VARCHAR2(1)

I don't think Oracle has that wisdom any more. Maybe it's just spite.  Or maybe modifying dba_tables and everything that touches it is too scary, er, not cost-effective. There is a table description somewhere, anyways.

I've thought since the '80s that such a short limit on table names is ridiculous. I type full words faster than abbreviations.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
...when World History collides with Personal History: