Re: SQL Server 2000 Migrate to Oracle

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:53:37 +0200

Galen Boyer wrote:
[snip]

>>>Here's an attribute name:
>>>
>>>  financial information submission failure penalty
>>>
>>>This is spec'd out by the business I'm the datamodeler for,
>>>but I guess I'm in a ridiculous business, just like the OP
>>>cause my database doesn't support that name?  I abbreviated it
>>>to, finclinfsubmfailpnlty.  I kind of think the fully spelled
>>>out version is easier to understand.

But its hell if you ever have to type it in (and I'm not exactly slow with the keyboard). IMO, that's why Oracle 'invented' comments. Full descriptiv, easy to understand. But you never but once have to type them in.

[...]

> I can beat your crypticness. I can create a single character
> UNIX script, q.sh, which will solve everybody's needs. Sign of a
> good lazy programmer. But, not all that descriptive, that's for
> sure.

On the other hand you didn't mention that you'd put a man page at the top of q.sh wich would tell everyone interested what parameters q.sh would take and what they did to the outcome ;-)

[...]
> I do it to help the development effort, not the end users. It
> certainly helps me when I do a desc on a table, even when I
> designed the table.

Again, that's what comments are for (and they are highly underused IMO).

>>And I know a lot of people who would get ticked off with the
>>'Tbl' part of that name.

> Let em get ticked.

Oh, and don't forget to put a silly abbreviation of the tablename as prefix to every single column of the table. If god didn't want us to type at least 100 chars for a simple '2 columns of a table select' he wouldn't have given us keyboards... or 10 fingers come to that ;-)

> Okay, if thats supposedly the argument. Is it actually written
> somewhere, "Though shalt not have > 30 characters ..."

Unfortunately AFAIK it's not. But about time as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

Holger Received on Mon Aug 30 2004 - 10:53:37 CDT