Re: SQL Server 2000 Migrate to Oracle

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:17:45 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 30 Aug 2004 01:35:24 -0700, kyrkarsa_at_yahoo.com (C Stabri) wrote:
>

>>I am trying to get some tables out of SQL Server 2000 and into Oracle
>>9i. However I am encountering problems.
>>
>>1. Many of the tables and column names in SQL server are > than 30
>>Characters which meansa any auto inport I do fails.
>>Is there a way to get around this.
>>

> No, there isn't. The limit for all identifiers in Oracle is 30. Also
> no spaces, no lowercase etc.
>

>>2.The Create table statements for the SQL database are not
>>compatabible with ORacle Create table statements.
>>
>>Bascially I need advices on getting 400 odd tables our of SQL server
>>into Oracle, any ideas where I have table and column anems > than 30
>>chars.
>>
>>Thanks

> Oracle used to have a Migration Workbench for SQL server in the tools
> department of the download section of http://otn.oracle.com
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Still have... but OMWB comes with it's own quirks and omissions. If you can sell it - start over. Reengineer the SS2K app, and learn Oracle, and rebuild the app according to Oracle's rules.

You'll end up with a smaller, more efficient and better scalable application than any ported one. Been there, done that.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel