Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 30 Aug 2004 02:04:21 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4132279b$0$7222$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> able to distinguish fact from fantasy. Next, you'll be wanting the man that
> put this together (http://www.dba-oracle.com/redneck.htm) to show some
> taste and decency. Or go on a diet.

LOL! It's getting funnier, Don! Hehehe! C'mon, Howard: it's tongue-in-cheek.
It HAS to be. Must be...
Don?....

.
.
.

> In his defence, he (I think) is not claiming that the results of his
> ham-fisted attempts at developing more content for his next book would
> result in a lean mean fighting machine. Merely a fat, bloated one that runs
> faster.

It's what I call the Mad Max approach to running an IT shop: just slap a dirty, huge, superblown 7 litre V8 on top of that old 10 tonner. It will move fast...

> > - Do you really think a *single* "REALLY bad SQL" statement that for
> > example performs an unnecessary FTS and reads say 100,000 blocks
> > unnecessarily (rather than the 4 blocks required) will magically run
> > efficiently and effectively with a faster CPU ? Then multiply by *2000*.
> > Somehow I think not ...

Of course it will run faster. No one can figure out where, but it WILL run faster. That's all that's being measured, isn't it? Speed.

> He's not claiming he can tune properly. Merely that he can fumble around
> long enough that the client *thinks* he's worked some kind of magic.
> Ker-ching! Invoice-time!!

And fast!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Aug 30 2004 - 04:04:21 CDT