Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:59:12 +1000

Richard Foote wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>
> Do you really think he "looked and made sure" ?

Ow, c'mon. Don is a prolific author. Not a very good one, to be sure. But prolific. Expecting him to tell a story straight is a bit like asking Charles Dickens 'was the French Revolution really like that?'. You can't actually expect those who make their money from writing fiction to be be able to distinguish fact from fantasy. Next, you'll be wanting the man that put this together (http://www.dba-oracle.com/redneck.htm) to show some taste and decency. Or go on a diet.

Be more realistic in your expectations, Richard!!

> A few points I would make include:
>
> - Do you really think Don can upgrade CPUs in 15 mins. 15 mins to
> order/purchase, have delivered, installed, tested, rebooted ... Somehow I
> think not.
>
> - Do you really think Don diagnosed and identified *2000* "REALLY bad SQL"
> (Don's quote) statements ? Somehow I think not ...
>
> - Do you really think that a CPU upgrade can magically convert a system
> with dire and urgent performance problems due to *2000* "REALLY bad SQL"
> statements into a lean, mean fighting machine ? Somehow I think not ...

In his defence, he (I think) is not claiming that the results of his ham-fisted attempts at developing more content for his next book would result in a lean mean fighting machine. Merely a fat, bloated one that runs faster.

> - Do you really think a *single* "REALLY bad SQL" statement that for
> example performs an unnecessary FTS and reads say 100,000 blocks
> unnecessarily (rather than the 4 blocks required) will magically run
> efficiently and effectively with a faster CPU ? Then multiply by *2000*.
> Somehow I think not ...

But again: you are confusing Don with someone who actually gives a damn about doing a job properly.

He's not claiming he can tune properly. Merely that he can fumble around long enough that the client *thinks* he's worked some kind of magic. Ker-ching! Invoice-time!!

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Aug 29 2004 - 13:59:12 CDT