Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2004 09:12:46 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0408242010.39e77d7c_at_posting.google.com>...
> "DGK" <Ganesh.Kamath_at_in.bosch.com> wrote in message news:<cgelu5$a8n$1_at_ns1.fe.internet.bosch.com>...
> >
> > So I was thinking rest of the RAM (1.5GB) is not being utilised. Hence I
> > posted the question.
>

> It IS being utilised. By Windows. You just don't see it.
> Read this:
> http://tinyurl.com/yruv5
> It will tell you all you need to know about 4GT and other large memory
> techniques for Windows 32bit.
> Not that you need it, but it will work fine with anything over 8ir3.
>
> > Now I have tuned few of the SQL statements and found that response time has
> > increased.
>
> Overall, a much better way of solving this problem.
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam

nice thing about 2003 Server -

"4GT allows memory-intensive applications running on Windows Server 2003"

Is that the w2k3 Server Enterprise Edition is not required for the /3GB switch to take effect, no doubt due to this feature being supported in the enterprise Linuxes.

"4GT is not required on the 64-bit versions of the Windows Server 2003 family."

and those are available for x86-64 when? not _real soon now_ by an means.

-bdbafh Received on Sun Aug 29 2004 - 11:12:46 CDT