Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Don Burleson <don_at_burleson.cc>
Date: 29 Aug 2004 08:40:48 -0700

> - Do you really think Don can upgrade CPUs in 15 mins. 15 mins to
> order/purchase, have delivered, installed, tested, rebooted ... Somehow I
> think not.

Yes, I'm not allowed to touch hardware after I spilled coffee in the server! But I know how to call the vendor. But your're right, it was actually more like 10 minutes downtime.

> - Do you really think Don diagnosed and identified *2000* "REALLY bad SQL"
> (Don's quote) statements ? Somehow I think not ...

Easy really, just join v$sql_plan into v$sql and toss-in a WHERE clause.

Mike Ault sells automated script for this, and it's really easy.

Check it out:

http://www.rampant-books.com/download_adv_mon_tuning.htm

> - Do you really think that a CPU upgrade can magically convert a system with
> dire and urgent performance problems due to *2000* "REALLY bad SQL"
> statements into a lean, mean fighting machine ? Somehow I think not ...

Sadly, it happens every day, crappy code executing 100x faster.

> - Do you really think a *single* "REALLY bad SQL" statement that for example
> performs an unnecessary FTS and reads say 100,000 blocks unnecessarily
> (rather than the 4 blocks required) will magically run efficiently and
> effectively with a faster CPU ? Then multiply by *2000*. Somehow I think not

I did't say "efficiently" or "effectively", I said FASTER!

WAY FASTER!
> BTW, still searching, searching in my quest to find all these "not uncommon"
> 30G buffer cache sites ...

Just read the Oracle10g TPCC benchmarks, Richard. They all use over 30 gig. There are some good examples on Oracle-L too!

Mike Ault just finished a book with a complete TPCH benchmark and I have reproducable timings showing measurable benefits to really big cache sizes on 10g:

http://www.rampant-books.com/book_2005_1_ssd.htm

If I see any other specific example, I'll let you know. . . . Received on Sun Aug 29 2004 - 10:40:48 CDT