Re: 9.0.2 64-bit on redhat 3.0r2 AMD64 (4-way) 17G RAM

From: Artis Gripemore <wealtheow1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2004 18:37:04 -0700

> drool ...

Indeed, it kicks butt, and we could get two for the price of one HP PA-RISC. I should report that despite my ignorant settings, the machine performs much, much better than its predecessor. I expect, if the people in this ng saw the settings one oracle expert had suggested for this configuration, they would keel over. Believe me, what I have here is quite less ambitious in every respect.

> posters to oracle-l have reported issues with pga_aggregate_target
> over 1GB.
> what is your value for sga_max_size?

Well, I don't know, now. I will try something more sane and post it.

> you don't need to fit the entire sga into a single shared memory
> extent, but its one way of doing it.

Yes--I've been considering a less extreme design, OS-side.

> have you considered abandoning pga_aggregate_target in favor of
> pga/uga being under each dedicated server process?

No--how would this look?

> btw1 - why don't you throw 128 MB at the shared pool for a start?

I'll try it. I am unsure why they want 24M here; it's precisely because these settings seemed small that I started looking into this.

> btw2 - are you a fan of the "A" train?

Huge. His last gasp with the Bulls was both a happy and a sad occasion for me After all those years playing for lousy Bulls teams, he had another shot, but there was nothing left in the tank. Underappreciated player, if you ask me.

S Received on Sat Aug 28 2004 - 20:37:04 CDT