Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:05:18 +1000

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2004 17:27:44 -0700, don_at_burleson.cc (Don Burleson) wrote:
>

>>  It's also an admission that the IT manager hired
>>goofballs (usually a non-US provider) to write the original code.
>>Like I said, I have no problem throwing hardware at crappy code when
>>the client doesn't want to tune it.

> If you want me to name US vendors selling products where the SQL is a
> piece of *shit*, I have no problem in doing that.
> And no, adding extra indexes is not going to work, NOR is throwing
> extra hardware at the same problem.
> Your 'tuning' strategy (which is actually no tuning at all, but a
> *religion* you should use silver bullets as paneceas to fight
> symptoms) will actually make sure the US goof balls will *never* learn
> how to do it properly.
> The 'throwing hardware at the problem' is also a typical US stupid
> strategy, here in Europe one usually doesn't want to do that, because
> Europeans know it doesn't solve anything.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I don't think this should become a Europe-America thing. That would leave us lot down in Oz out of things, for a start. Besides, Europeans can be just as stupid as Americans when it comes to imagining lots of shiny new hardware will inevitably fix a problem. As can we all, indeed.

No: this is not a nationality thing, or a continent thing. It's a stupid bit of advice from a prolific-but-under-talented book writer versus common sense thing. That's all.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Aug 28 2004 - 03:05:18 CDT