Re: 9.0.2 64-bit on redhat 3.0r2 AMD64 (4-way) 17G RAM

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:42:00 +1000

Bob Jones wrote:

>> Why? You're using Red Hat. Like any Linux, the thing is configurable, but
>> I'll lay small odds that when you created your file systems you just
>> accepted all the defaults. That means your block size should be 4K

> (because

>> that's what ext3 uses by default as its own buffer size, and the Oracle
>> block size must match the file system buffer size exactly).
>
> No, Oracle block size does not have to match anything.

It doesn't have to, in the sense that you can be stupid and make it mismatch if you wish to. But if you want to be sensible about it, then yes, I'm afraid the Oracle block size absolutely does have to match whatever your file system buffer size is exactly. And for stock ext3, with all defaults, that's 4K.

If you disagree with that, perhaps you'd care to explain why.

HJR Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 20:42:00 CDT