Re: oracle net8 protocol

From: Richard Franklin <richard_p_franklin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2004 18:34:56 -0700

Pete Finnigan <plsql_at_petefinnigan.com> wrote in message news:<eAdrqLBOd3LBRxci_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>...
> Hi,
>
> I don't know why you need the Net8 protocol details. It is proprietary
> as some people have said but there is some info out there if you look.
> For instance download the ethereal software, which is open source and
> take a look at the files packet-tns.h and packet-tns.c - these files
> give you some details of the packet structures. They don't tell you the
> protocol and what the contents and sequences of TNS packets are but they
> will allow you to understand better the packet contents. The tool is
> also good to look at the packets on the wire.
>
> hth
>
> kind regards
>
> Pete

pete thx for the help. ethereal is a great tool but the dissector is relative to other protocols weak. it only does TNS and can't tell you other important information like how the SQL text is put in the message. [it would be great to know the details so to contribute to ethereal but you have to know the details 1st ] NA sniffer is better but still only does a bit of the hdr. none of the other sniffer products does a good job as well.

for instance you can't tell where the SQL starts in a TNS data packet because the offsets are not fixed. you can't tell how the data is returned in what way. the marshaling that oracle uses is hard to decode and understand. I want to really learn the stack.

thx,
rpf Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 20:34:56 CDT