Re: oracle net8 protocol

From: Richard Franklin <richard_p_franklin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2004 09:27:48 -0700

Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<cgmsjs$pf3$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
> Richard Franklin wrote:
>
> >>You could start oracle sql*net tracing... works
> >>as long as the connection isn't encrypted
> >>The protocol is propriety, no specs public, afaik
> >

> > is there an open source ODBC that I can examine? the sql*net .trc
> > files are pretty useless because they are too hi level. if I could
> > look at a driver in source code I'd understand how it worked. but I
> > don't know of any such projects, just ones that link in oracle libs.
> > (like perl libs for oracle connect)
> >
> > I would think that someone had done such a project to make an
> > application talk to an oracle database?
>
> Eehhh... you do realize you can set several levels? What
> level did you use, that was "too hi"? 'Support' gives a ton
> of information!

I have used 'SUPPORT' level tracing. its ok, but doesn't tell the real packet details [ take a look at NA sniffer for instance ]. problem is that even NA sniffer does a halfhearted job. I hoped that I could learn packet details from looking at a ODBC (or as Jim says the OCI layer). but they are all binary, no source code projects that I can see.

ultimately I want to be able to understand any oracle packet and even make my own packets that can be sent to the server. another way to ask is if there is an open source OCI or ?

thx-
rpf Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 11:27:48 CDT